Tile & Stone Care
Keep your Tile and Natural Stone designs looking like new for years to come.
Ceramic & Porcelain tiles are virtually maintenance-free, as long as it they are kept clean and dry. Though some natural offenders can accumulate. The worst include foot traffic and fine dust, dirt, and sand particles that gather from outdoors. Fortunately, cleaning tile is one of the least demanding tasks, and here are a few tips to keep your ceramic & porcelain tiles looking “like new” for many years.
- Always vacuum first to remove grit and fine dust particles.
- To clean the surface of your tile, use clean cool or warm water. On the floors use warm water and a damp mop. A damp sponge or lint-free cleaning cloth is best for countertop and wall surfaces. Use only enough clear, potable water to dampen the surface. Too much water will create puddles, unnecessarily increasing your work.
- Stubborn soils (e.g., dried food or soap residues) might require a mild soil releaser and porcelain and ceramic differ slightly. Add a small amount of mild soap to a gallon of cool or warm clean water when cleaning Porcelain Tile. Whereas you’ll add a tablespoon of white vinegar mixed with a gallon of clean water to help remove dirt and stains on Ceramic Tile. DO NOT USE VINEGAR AS AN EVERYDAY CLEANER ON CERAMIC TILE.
- Make sure to wipe dry.
Commercial cleaners can be used for occasional use on ceramic tile, and there is a number available. However, test any product thoroughly before use as it might be difficult or impossible to remove any residue or stains. To avoid scratching, etching and chemical stains always purchase nonabrasive, nonacid cleaners for surfaces.
NATURAL STONE CARE
Marble, limestone, and granite are elegant stones that reflect an individuals taste. However, these stone are susceptible to scratching and staining. Similar to fine furniture, if neglected the stones will deteriorate. Keeping dirt, sand and other debris off these stones is a MUST, if damage is to be avoided. We recommend both pure water and Stone Soap.
DO NOT USE VINEGAR OR ANY KIND OF ACIDIC CLEANER ON NATURAL STONE. ACID SUBSTANCES CAN PERMANENTLY ETCH THE SURFACE.
- The safest cleaner for fine stones is warm water with low mineral content, pure enough to drink. Especially ensure the rinse water is clean, to avoid redepositing potentially damaging particles on the surface of the stone.
- Stone soaps are great and not only clean natural stone, but they also seal the stone and provide an extra measure of protection against damage. These products are generally easy to use and can help to maintain the beauty of your stone installation.
MANY PRODUCTS CLAIM TO CLEAN OR POLISH EVERYTHING. NOT ALL OF THEM WORK ON NATURAL STONE. SOME CAN CAUSE SEVERE DAMAGE. WHEN PURCHASING CLEANERS, ENSURE THE PRODUCTS ARE SUITABLE FOR THE PURPOSE YOU INTEND.
You may want to hire a professional to seal your natural stone and tile. Several companies are available in the local area who produce high-quality work. We recommend the following preferred restoration and maintenance specialist.
MARCHBANKS Natural Stone & Tile are specialists with more than 20 years of stone and tile restoration experience. They can provide many tile and stone services for both commercial and residential projects. The tile and stone services include cleaning, sealing, polishing, resurfacing, as well as restoration and tile repair. For more information on services, please contact MARCHBANKS at 916-295-0190, or visit them online natstonecare.net.
CLEANING AND SEALING PRODUCTS
We recommend a few professional-grade products to clean, seal and maintain tile and stone. The following products are available to purchase from our Contractors Desk Warehouse. Always follow the manufactures instructions, test before general use, and follow safety precautions to keep out of reach of children and pets
MORE™ Surface Care Products (Sealers, Enhancers, and Cleaners) Simple to use water-based sealers, enhancers, and cleaners for stone, quartz, and tile. MORE™ is the best way to protect, clean and enhance your stone, quartz or tile surfaces.
MORE™ Sealers – High-performance, penetrating sealers that form an invisible barrier below the surface and give maximum protection against the toughest oil and water-based stains.
MORE™ Enhancers – Bring out the stone’s natural color, texture, and unique character.
MORE™ Cleaners – High-performance professional grade cleaners formulated specifically for natural stone, ceramic, porcelain, grout, and concrete surfaces.
MORE™ Exterior Sealers – High-performance sealers and enhancers for outdoor projects, patios, and walkways that provide excellent stain protection.